A “Call-to-Action” turns every message to your customers into an imperative that motivates a response. Why is this technique so important? In this post, we’ll look at some of the advantages of a Call-to-Action, and explore ways that you can incorporate this powerful rhetorical tool into your marketing strategy.
Image Credit: The Daily Egg (https://blog.crazyegg.com/2013/07/24/call-to-action-examples)
How Does a Call-to-Action Work?
The basic mechanism of a Call-to-Action stays the same: use engagement to nudge the reader into action. These actions allow them to advance to the next stage in their purchase journey, learn about your company or products, or take some concrete step to help you recruit new customers.
However, a Call-to-Action can take multiple forms, and in this section we’ll examine some of the most common ones.
- Ask a Compelling Question – A question demands an answer, right? This technique is simple: add a question to a blog post, update, heading, or email. If you write a blog post titled, “Best Summer Cocktail Recipes,” finish with, “What are your favorite summer drinks? Share your recipes in comments!” If you want customers to read an update on your website, start with a heading like, “How Can You Save Money on Office Supplies?” You can even make these questions rhetorical, using them in teasers and subject lines to hint at answers you’ll provide in the body of a post or email.
- Show Customers the Next Step – A Call-to-Action offers clear instructions for what to do next. For example, if you want customers to click through to your website, show them a link labeled, “Sign Up on Our Website!” With this strategy, it’s important to follow through. If you lead customers to a website that doesn’t show them a clear, straightforward landing page, you’ll lose them.
- Create a “Call-to-Action” Button – This is the most straightforward way to incorporate a Call-to-Action into your marketing strategy, making your “action” as explicit and simple as possible. Buttons are also easy to incorporate into pop-ups and other ads. You can increase the impact of the Call-to-Action button with a specific cue. “Download Now,” “Sign Up,” and “Visit Our Site” work much better than a vague “Click Here.”
- Tie Your “Call-to-Action” to a Consequence – It’s important to let customers know that taking the next step will offer them some concrete benefit. Make the most of this strategy with phrasing like, “Click here to learn about the 5 best ways to build customer confidence,” or, “Download our product tutorial to learn about new features!”
- Create a Sense of Urgency – A Call-to-Action is that much stronger when it comes with a timeline. Any specific time limits you can incorporate into your Call-to-Action will push customers to respond, so consider including temporal details like “Weekend Sale,” or “Back-to-School Promotion.” You can also use words like “Now,” “Soon,” “Right Away,” “Act Now,” and “Today” to tag your Call-to-Action with a feeling of immediacy. Customers will know that they need to respond right away.
What Makes a Call-to-Action So Important?
Image Credit: ELogic (https://elogic.co/blog/call-to-action-increase-your-sales)
Now that we’ve looked at some ways that you can incorporate a Call-to-Action into your marketing materials, let’s consider the value it can add to your advertising:
- A Call-to-Action Adds Clarity – Have you ever opened up an email to find a wall of incomprehensible text with no specific instructions on what you’re supposed to do next? It’s not a very helpful approach, is it? A Call-to-Action offers clear information to customers scanning quickly, especially if you can highlight it with a Call-to-Action button, graphic, or distinct color and font. Use green or orange to create a sense of openness, positivity, and energy.
- A Call-to-Action Builds Relationships – “Teaming” creates a sense of camaraderie and participation by giving audience members the sense that they play a crucial role. Use a Call to Action to give readers and leads this same impression, making customers feel like their contributions are important to you.
- A Call to Action Promotes Your Content – Promoting content across platforms and formats is always a challenge. A Call-to-Action helps lead customers from one region to another seamlessly. For example, a Call-to-Action can pull a customer from social media to in-person engagement, or from an email to your website.
- A Call-to-Action Creates a Sense of Curiosity and Anticipation – Remember when you were a kid on your birthday? Nothing was more fun than opening a wrapped present. A Call-to-Action draws on the same sense of mystery to increase curiosity about your site and company. Use a Call to Action to tease content customers can read by clicking through.
- A Call-to-Action Plays into Our Sense of Reward – Have you ever read all the way to the end of a blog post or article only to see it fizzle at the end? Maintain reader interest with a Call-to-Action that will lead your content to a definite conclusion.
A Call-to-Action is a tested strategy for increasing interest and channeling customer engagement. With these guidelines and options in mind, you have all the information you need to make use of this effective communication tool. Try adding Calls-to-Action to your marketing strategy, and watch traffic to your website take off!
Are you interested in learning about Calls-to-Action and other techniques for maximizing the impact of your marketing materials? We recommend speaking with a team of digital marketing experts that can offer you informed advice on how to plan and implement a marketing strategy tailored to the needs of your business. Contact Square 1 Group today!