I wanted to take a moment to briefly discuss why your “Welcome” email to new subscribers is so important. Consider these statistics:
- The average open rate for a Welcome email is 50% (much higher than standard open rates)
- Consumers that receive welcome emails have 33% higher engagement than those that don’t
- Welcome emails get 5x more clicks than standard emails
- They generate 320% more revenue than other promotional messages
As you can see, if you don’t take the time to craft a great welcome email as a part of your email marketing strategy, you could be missing out on a big portion of your market. With that in mind, here are five simple tips to help you make the most of that all-important first introductory message:
- Make it automated. Having your welcome email on an auto-responder ensures no subscriber is forgotten. Ideally, you’ll have a fully automated email campaign with several touchpoints, like the 36 Touch program we use here at Square 1 Group (check out my video about creating your own 36 Touch campaign here).
- Use “Welcome” in the subject line. This is a tried and true tactic. Feel free to get creative, but don’t forget this keyword in your messaging.
- Give direction on what to do next. Because welcome emails have such a high clickthrough rate, you should leverage this to your benefit. For example, you might create a roundup of content they should read next.
- Let them know what to expect. Remind them why they signed up for your email in the first place, and let them know what they can expect from your communication moving forward.
- Keep design simple. You don’t want to overdo design or copywriting, because your message is more likely to get lost with complexity.
I hope these tips prove useful to you as you start focusing on building your email list. If you need help getting subscribers or crafting an email marketing campaign, our team is happy to help.